Thursday, June 01, 2006

Google Me This, Batman!

So, I am doing a little research on how to get up there in the Google search rankings, and it seems the best way to do it is to have other popular websites link to your website. This seems simple enough, right? Well, not really. People have to keep creating new links, or updating their links, to your site in order for you to stay in the rankings.

For example, a number of months ago, I used to link to Springheel Jack from this blog all the time, and perhaps as a consequence, my google rating was fairly high. (Actually, it's probably from the fact that I had a whole bunch of new links from a whole bunch of friends and artists, trying to help me out. Very nice of them.) But, I have fallen to third or fourth in the rankings for "springheel jack".

I little humorous sidenote: right now, when you search for "springheel jack" on Google, my site comes up as "an invisible hit counter". It's a glitch from the new site that's been fixed, but it will take Google a few days to crawl my site again. Until then, I'm probably not going to get many hits. That is, unless there are a lot of people looking for t-shirts AND invisible hit counters.

So, here's my question: how does one get consistently linked to? My guess is that you have spend a lot of time creating and sustaining buzz for your company, hoping that people will link to your site.

In traditional media, press kits are used to create awareness of a particular company through stories written about that company often written by that company. The story is usally something on the order of "Local Boy Makes Good". The company then sends the story, along with pictures, to various newspapers and magazines, hoping that the story gets picked up.

My guess is that a similar approach can be taken with websites, who like newspapers and magazines, are constantly looking for new "content".

I decided back in February that I wanted to try this approach with coolhunting.com and cuteoverload.com but then decided to wait until the website was finished. So, my goal for this week is to put together a electronic package, with text blurbs and pictures, for both of those sites and to send it to them.

Do any of you know other sites that might be in need of content and that would have an obvious interest in SHJ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home